Saturday, July 25, 2009

Crazy JG weekend

Jorge Gurgel is in town! He came in Thursday night and is teaching all the bjj and mma classes until Sunday. Last night was an intense class which was 2 hours of straight drilling. We worked reguarding from standing guard passes until everyone could do it proficiently. We then continued on and worked two de la riva to sitting up guard sweeps to use in tandem with one another. While I had seen the sweeps before, I haven't worked on them in a while; and the concepts that he introduced were great.

After the class we went to Big Dawgs house for a bonfire and had a lot of fun. It was a great time and will only be getting better today. There is bjj class in a couple hours, then a mandatory stop at the van andel arena to watch Big Dawg's princess Emma win the cheerleading national championship!

On a side note, I thought I broke my hand thursday night while rolling. It hurts really bad (my 5th metacarpal for you medical people). I went to the doctor on the advice of a teammate and got x-rays. I got the great news that it is not broken, and is just a bad sprain/contusion. I am supposed to stay off the mats for a couple weeks, but as they say:

"If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"

No comments: