Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Deep Half Guard night


Tonight was SWWWEEET! Big Dawg went over one of my favorite positions...deep half guard. I first discovered this position from Roberto Tozi, when he came to our school for a seminar a year or so ago. I then saw a bunch of cool stuff on it from the awesome Aesopian's web site.

Clint went over the principles of half guard, and then how to obtain deep half guard from there. You have to always watch the crossface!

We learned what we call "the Tozi sweep" from this position, where you underhook the guys leg and grab a bunch of gi tight with the hand by your head. You then pendulum sweep him back. It's one of my favorites, so I was excited to have Clint show a couple great details. Clint also told a JG story of how he used this guard when he was just a blue/purple belt and messed everyone up with it.

No comments: