Wednesday, April 1, 2009

No-gi night

No-gi night was awesome as always today.

Unfortunately I showed up about 30 minutes late due to work, which does not make me happy. Work keeps getting in the way of my BJJ training...if this keeps up, I may have to choose to become homeless so I have more time to practice...hmmm.

Sadly I missed the sprinting and cardio portion of class. I'm confident some people do this intentionally, but you can be assured I'm not that person. I'm not the tallest, fastest, strongest, most naturally gifted guy by far...so to progress I feel like I have to take advantage of every cardio session that I can. This will allow me to outwork people, and give me the fortitude I need in tough matches.

I did come just in time for the strength training. Hyde has a series of bodyweight excercises that push your body through a grueling workout. Without really any warmup, it was tough jumping right into these.

We continued to do Hyde triangle drills for a while, and then went into Ryan showing technique for the day which focused on the turtle position. He showed his sweet armlock from bottom turtle when the guy reaches in too far. You need to pinch the man's arm above his elbow tight with your lat. you then figure four the arm and roll to either side to finish the straight armbar (or kimura if he bends his arm).

Mr. Hyde talked a lot about the concept of the turtle position, explaining what both top and bottom man's position should be, and what the goals are for each.

We finished up with live rolling. Ryan always puts on a superb class, and I would highly recommend checking it out. His concepts of jiu jitsu, and how he breaks them down are nothing short of extraordinary!

No comments: