Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Private on preventing guard passing

I did my first private lesson with Clint today! It was nothing short of awesome as it filled a few basic holes in my game.

Getting my guard passed:

When someone is passing my guard to my right, I want to make sure I have hand control with my left hand grabbing his right sleeve (pulling it towards me). I want to put my right leg on his left hip (vital detail). I then extend him with a push/pull with his arm and hip, and switch my hips so instead of facing right I am facing left. There could be a triangle available here, but the worst case scenario the opponent will have to start his guard pass over.

The other issue I had was rolling to turtle too easy to protect myself from getting my guard passed. This is not a horrible strategy, but must be executed with purpose. I was keeping turtle too long, allowing for my opponent to start to break me down or take my back. It's OK for me to roll to turtle guard, but what I need to work on is not staying there but instantly rolling through back to guard. Putting my arm in between my legs facilitates this, as it puts my shoulders insto position for my body to roll.

Defense against knee lead:

This one I will need to work on but did have some success in live rolling at the end of practice. Clints defense is simple. Open your guard up and put your feet on both hips. Lift your ass in the air above the guys knee that is leading. This totally negates the guys position. It is not an easy guard, as you are lifted up the whole time, but it is effective as he will have to move his knee back to maintain balance if you move him laterally; or you can work normally guard attacks (triangle, armbar, oma plata, etc) from this position.

Passing open guard:

I found this problem when I was trying the standing guard pass. 99% of guys will drop into open guard. I am not getting pwned from this position, but I'm not too succesful in beating it either. The key part of the game is to keep your opponent from getting his feet on your hips. That is his control point. You defeat this by putting your elbows on the insdie of his thighs/knees. Grip the inside of his pants and move your elbows somewhere under his legs and stack him a little. It doesn't matter if you stay standing up or go to your knees as long as you block his feet from going on your hips.

Now I just need to practice all this stuff until it becomes automatic! I used most all of it right away in live rolling and it definitely works for me!

No comments: