Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bonus Gauntlet Video

When myself, Abby Bork, and Noah Sazy were promoted to new belts last week, we got to partake in a Jorge Gurgel tradition that originated in Brazil. This is known as walking the gauntlet. I had been part of a few of these before, but this was my first time on the receiving end. The video is self explanatory, and yes it hurts....but it's OK that it hurts. Just thinking about all the pain and sacrifice I had to endure to make it this far in the last year and a half, makes the pain and the slow walk WELL worth it. I pray some day I can take this walk again some day.

Not all schools do this, but many do. Some let you wear your gi top, some just have the higher belts throw you, some do nothing but toss you a new belt. This is how we do it, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments: