Friday, August 7, 2009

Tourney Time!

Tomorrow is the long awaited Jorge Gurgel team association tournament in Cincinnati, OH. I am making the 5 hour trip with a couple people, and we are leaving in about 2 hours. I woke up a few ounces overweight at 190.4, which should be good. I had 1.5 cups of coffee with a little sugar and 2 eggs. I hoping the small bit of caffeine, sugar, and protein (the 3 food groups...right?) will give me enough lifeforce to make it until the 7pm night before weigh in. I'm going to weigh myself right before I go and plan on being about 191.5 after my breakfast. Not eating for the rest of the day should get me under the 190lb limit by the slimmest of margins.

We should have about 15 guys (and girls) going down, and it should be a lot of fun. This should be slightly more intense then your average tournament, as it will definitely set bragging rights within our association for years to come. That being said, at GRBJJ we train to be the best; and we have been hitting it hard. We are ready to bring it, so I hope my brothers at the other schools are ready!

We haven't been doing much technique at practice the past week or so. Just a lot of situational drilling, and basics. Last night (2 days before tournament), we did drills at half speed for the first half of class and then 5 minutes periods of live rolling, followed by 5 minute rest going to simulate a tournament environment. We were instructed to go slow speed, not to injure ourselves and to get our bodies rested properly for the tournament.

As always, I am bringing my video camera and will post my matches with commentary here. I find this is a good exercise for me, as it helps analyze my strengths and weaknesses and helps me realize what I need to work on in upcoming months.

Thanks everyone for your support of me and the Dutch Assassin blog. Wish me luck tomorrow and have a nice big lunch while thinking about your poor old boy starving!

Peace,
Dutch Assassin

No comments: